In today’s digital age, safeguarding your online privacy has become a top priority. With cyber threats and data breaches on the rise, using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is one of the most effective ways to protect your personal information. However, not all VPNs are created equal, and finding the right one for your Asus router can be a daunting task. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the best VPNs specifically tailored to enhance the security and performance of your Asus router.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Your Asus Router?
Your Asus router may already have some built-in security features, but a VPN adds an extra layer of protection by encrypting your internet connection. Here are some compelling reasons why you need a VPN for your Asus router:
- Enhanced Privacy: A VPN masks your IP address, making it virtually impossible for anyone to trace your online activities back to you.
- Security: VPNs encrypt your data, ensuring that sensitive information such as passwords and credit card details remains safe from hackers.
- Access to Geo-Restricted Content: With a VPN, you can access content from around the world, even if it’s restricted in your region.
- Bypassing Throttling: Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) throttle your internet speed for certain activities. A VPN can help you bypass this restriction.
Key Features to Look for in a VPN for Asus Routers
When selecting a VPN for your Asus router, consider the following key features:
- Router Compatibility: Ensure that the VPN is compatible with Asus routers, as not all VPNs support router installations.
- Speed and Performance: Look for a VPN that offers high-speed connections to prevent lags and buffering.
- Server Network: A VPN with a large server network provides more options for choosing the fastest and most secure connections.
- Security Protocols: Opt for a VPN that uses advanced encryption protocols like OpenVPN or IKEv2/IPsec.
- Customer Support: Good customer support is essential for troubleshooting any issues that may arise during setup or use.
List of Best VPNs for Asus routers
|Ranking for Asus routers||1||2||3||4||6|
|Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps|
|Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||70%||85%|
|Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||2,200+||200+|
NordVPN ranks as our top choice for a VPN on an Asus router. NordVPN offers comprehensive guides for manual setup on both AsusWRT, the native firmware of Asus, and Asuswrt-Merlin, a customized firmware. If you prefer an already configured option, you can explore NordVPN Asus routers offered by FlashRouters. This VPN not only supports torrenting but also boasts remarkable speed for seamless streaming and rapid downloads. It effectively unblocks various popular streaming platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
NordVPN distinguishes itself through its unwavering commitment to robust security. Employing military-grade encryption alongside perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and leak protection, it ensures airtight privacy. Additionally, NordVPN provides supplementary features including automatic Wi-Fi protection, double VPN, and Tor over VPN. What sets this provider apart is its strict no-logs policy.
With a vast network of servers, NordVPN offers a selection of over 5,000 servers spanning 60 countries. Native applications are readily available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Subscription plans facilitate up to six simultaneous connections, catering to multiple devices. Should you require assistance, their knowledgeable customer support representatives are reachable around the clock via the live chat feature on their website.
|Best in speeds testing||Bit of a learning curve for desktop apps|
|Easy to set up with compatible Asus routers|
|Comes with security extras|
|Operates a huge server network|
|Unblocks a ton of streaming platforms|
Surfshark stands out as a cost-effective VPN solution that delivers exceptional performance for its price point. Despite its affordable rate, it doesn’t compromise on its offerings, even extending compatibility to routers. While a pre-configured Surfshark router isn’t available for purchase, the option to set up one on your own exists. The Surfshark website provides a comprehensive tutorial for configuring the VPN on routers utilizing the AsusWRT firmware.
Notably, Surfshark boasts the capability to access well-known streaming platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Its commendable streaming and downloading speeds enhance user experience.
Security and privacy are paramount, evidenced by features such as robust 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, perfect forward secrecy, leak protection, and the choice to employ a double-hop VPN for added security layers. Importantly, Surfshark strictly adheres to a no-logs policy, safeguarding user privacy.
With a network spanning over 3,000 servers across 50 countries, Surfshark offers a broad reach. A standout advantage of Surfshark’s plans is the ability to connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. User-friendly apps are available for a range of operating systems including Linux, MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. In the event of any challenges, responsive customer support is readily accessible.
- Can be configured using Asus’s built-in software
- Able to circumvent restrictions on platforms like Netflix and various websites
- Provides robust security and prioritizes privacy
- No restrictions on the number of simultaneous connections
- 24/7 customer support is available
- Some servers can be slow
ExpressVPN stands out as a well-rounded and respected VPN provider. Configuring it with your Asus router can be accomplished independently or through purchasing a pre-configured Asus router from FlashRouters, albeit at a higher cost. The VPN offers its own user-friendly custom firmware, which can be optionally used and is compatible with specific Asus models (RT-AC56(U/R/S), RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U).
ExpressVPN permits torrenting and excels in unblocking a multitude of geo-restricted platforms, including Netflix (across various libraries such as US and UK), Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. With a wide selection of over 3,000 servers spanning 94 countries, users have ample choice.
Security is a priority, evidenced by the inclusion of 256-bit AES encryption paired with perfect forward secrecy. Notably, ExpressVPN’s network lock (or kill switch) is perpetually active on routers. Comprehensive protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks further enhances information security. Notably, this provider adheres to a strict no-logs policy, ensuring that data that could identify users, such as IP addresses, is not retained.
ExpressVPN’s plans accommodate up to five simultaneous connections, and router usage is counted as only one connection. For safeguarding additional devices separately, user-friendly applications are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android platforms. In times of need, around-the-clock live-chat support is on hand to assist with any inquiries or challenges.
- ExpressVPN is known for its robust encryption and security features. It uses AES-256 encryption, which is considered highly secure, and supports various protocols like OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, and IKEv2.
- ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy, meaning they don’t track or store your online activity or personal information, enhancing your privacy.
- ExpressVPN boasts a vast server network spread across numerous countries, providing users with a wide range of options for bypassing geo-restrictions and accessing content from different regions.
- ExpressVPN is known for its fast and reliable connection speeds. This is crucial for activities like streaming, gaming, and downloading large files.
- The user interface of ExpressVPN’s apps is user-friendly and intuitive, making it easy for both beginners and advanced users to connect to servers and manage settings.
- ExpressVPN offers apps for various devices and platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, and more.
- ExpressVPN supports split tunneling, allowing you to choose which apps use the VPN and which access the internet directly. This can be useful for maintaining normal internet speeds for specific applications.
- ExpressVPN provides excellent customer support, including 24/7 live chat assistance to help users with any issues they might encounter.
- Price: ExpressVPN is generally considered to be more expensive compared to some other VPN services on the market. While it offers quality service, the cost might be a drawback for budget-conscious users.
- Limited Free Trial: ExpressVPN used to offer a 7-day free trial, but as of my last knowledge update in September 2021, they had removed this option. This could be a disadvantage for users who want to try the service before committing to a subscription.
- Simultaneous Connections: While ExpressVPN allows multiple devices to be connected simultaneously, the number of allowed connections per subscription is limited (usually five devices). Some other VPN services offer more generous simultaneous connections.
IPVanish provides a rapid and secure service that is compatible with Asus routers. The website supplies step-by-step guides for configuring the VPN on both AsusWRT and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. For a more convenient option, you can purchase pre-configured IPVanish Asus routers from FlashRouters. IPVanish is particularly popular among those who use torrents and can also unlock certain streaming platforms, including Netflix US.
Maintaining privacy is a central aspect of IPVanish’s mission, and the VPN adheres to a strict no-logs policy. Security features encompass a built-in kill switch and leak protection. To ensure confidentiality, your data is encrypted using 256-bit encryption along with perfect forward secrecy.
IPVanish is notably generous in terms of its connection limit, permitting up to 10 devices (nine in addition to your router) to simultaneously connect to the VPN. This is especially advantageous for households with numerous mobile devices requiring protection. Applications are available for download on iOS, Android, Windows, and MacOS operating systems. The provider operates a network of approximately 1,100 servers across 60 countries. Should you require assistance, customer support is accessible 24/7 through live chat.
- Has tutorials for Asus router setup
- Fast and reliable
- Provides secure, encrypted connections
- Doesn’t accept cryptocurrency payments
PrivateVPN, while smaller in scale compared to other providers on the list, offers a compelling range of features. Notably, it is compatible with Asus routers, which is covered through two tutorials outlining setup for both OpenVPN and L2TP protocols. Despite its more modest network size, PrivateVPN boasts impressive speed and reliability and excels in granting access to numerous sought-after streaming platforms.
The provider’s commitment to security and privacy is evident and aligns with its name. It adheres to a strict no-logs policy, safeguarding user data with robust measures like 256-bit AES encryption, perfect forward secrecy, leak protection, and an effective kill switch.
With a presence of approximately 150 servers dispersed across 60 countries, users are offered ample choices. The service allows for concurrent connections on up to six devices, with dedicated applications available for Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows. It’s worth noting that while live-chat support is accessible for the majority of the time, it might not be available around the clock.
- Configurable with Asus routers
- Pegs fast speeds
- Great at unblocking restricted media
- Operates a small server network
- Doesn’t offer 24/7 live chat
How to Set Up a VPN on Your Asus Router
The specific setup process you follow will vary based on factors such as your Asus router model, its installed firmware, your chosen VPN service, and the protocol you intend to use. Below are links to specific guides for reference, though the general steps remain consistent.
Here are the steps to configure an Asus router (using AsusWRT firmware) with OpenVPN:
- Choose an appropriate VPN provider and complete the payment process. We suggest considering NordVPN.
- Log in to the VPN provider’s website and obtain the VPN configuration files for your desired server location. Typically, these files are available in the setup tutorial section of the website. Take note of the provided username and password for later use.
- Open a new tab in your web browser and access your router’s dashboard by entering either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in the URL bar.
- Sign in to your Asus router’s control panel. Navigate to VPN > VPN Client > Add Profile.
- Choose the appropriate protocol, which in this case is OpenVPN.
- Provide a description for the profile and input the username and password acquired in step 2.
- Click the “Choose File” button, select and upload the previously downloaded configuration file, then click “Upload.”
- After the file finishes uploading, select OK. The profile is now added to your router.
- To establish a VPN connection, click “Activate” next to the newly added profile.
It’s important to note that this process configures the VPN for a single location. If you wish to utilize multiple server locations, you can download configuration files for each location and repeat these steps to create separate profiles for each. Subsequently, you can activate or deactivate profiles as needed.
Benefits of Using a VPN on Your Asus Router
Using a VPN on your Asus router offers several advantages, including:
- Network-Wide Protection: All devices connected to the router are automatically protected by the VPN, ensuring comprehensive security.
- Device Compatibility: VPNs on routers protect devices that may not support VPN apps, such as gaming consoles and smart TVs.
- Anonymous Browsing: With a VPN, your online activities remain anonymous, even from your ISP.
Common Issues and Troubleshooting Tips
While setting up a VPN on your Asus router is generally straightforward, you may encounter some common issues. Here are a few troubleshooting tips:
- Ensure your router is compatible with the VPN firmware.
- Double-check your VPN settings for accuracy.
- Restart your router and devices if you experience connectivity issues.
How do I check which version of OpenVPN my Asus router has?
To determine the version of OpenVPN installed on your Asus router, adhere to these instructions:
- Access your router’s control panel by logging in.
- From the left sidebar menu, select “VPN.”
- Once logged in, locate the “Advanced Settings” tab within the router’s interface. Click on this tab to reveal additional options.
- Identify and click on the “VPN Settings” option.
- On the VPN settings page, you should discover details about the currently installed OpenVPN version. It’s important to note that the precise location of this information might differ based on your router’s firmware version and interface design.
- The OpenVPN version number will adopt the format of “2.x.x” or “2.x.x-xxxx,” with “x” signifying specific version digits.
By adhering to these steps, you should be able to ascertain the OpenVPN version present on your Asus router.
Asu’s router setup tutorials for the above providers
- How to set up ExpressVPN with OpenVPN on your Asus router
- How to set up the ExpressVPN router app for Asus RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U, RT-AC56R, RT-AC56S, and RT-AC56U
- How to configure your Asus router running original firmware (AsusWRT)
- AsusWRT Merlin setup with NordVPN
In a world where online privacy is at risk, using a VPN with your Asus router can be a game-changer. The security, anonymity, and access to global content make VPNs an essential tool for modern internet users. Choose a VPN that aligns with your needs and enjoy a safer online experience.
Eyal Ephrat serves as the co-founder and CEO of medCPU.com, where technology is making significant strides in the field of medicine. Through his experience in purchasing PC and laptop equipment and various other tech products, Eyal Ephrat contributes valuable insights to medCPU’s mission.